Monday, May 13, 2013

Say NO to DIETS



DIET: such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats for reducing weight: (Dictionary.com)

This word bothers me because it imposes that you are going to LIMIT certain foods forever, but in actuality you are going to limit it for just a temporary situation. A few weeks ago, I went to the ER for my asthma (damn, seasonal changes), and the nurse asked me what type of diet I was on. I replied, "It is not a diet; it is a lifestyle change."She gave me the only strange look and selected anything "low-fat"diet.

But, why is this not a diet? People cheat on diets. With a lifestyle, you have found ways to adjust your mind to incorporate these foods without feeling the massive level of guilt. People who go on diets tend to limit things like bread for a certain time period, but with a lifestyle you learn how to have it, but not as often as you usually consumed it before.

Diets tend to have start dates (usually Mondays), and run until Fridays. This is the biggest issue for most "dieters". With a healthy living lifestyle change, there are no start dates, you have no days off, and there are no end dates. You have realized this is something that is going to be forever - if that is what you choose.

People go on diets for reasons:
1. Weddings
2. Summertime
3. To fit a specific outfit
4. To find love
5. Class reunions
6. Family reunions

The list could go on forever; however, with a lifestyle change, the only thing that matters is - getting healthier. When I decided 7 months ago to make this change, my only objective was to be a better me. I was tired of looking at myself in the mirror and seeing this obese person who was living unhealthy. It literally was the best decision I've made in my life to date, and I have had Chinese food, McDonalds, hamburgers, and bread, but it is how I incorporate these foods into my lifestyle that has allowed me to be successful to date. Yes, I have lost over 60 pounds, and I am proud to say that I DID NOT DO IT ON A DIET!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment